Monday, February 18, 2013

on public breastfeeding :: an update

I've been meaning to write an update on how the breastfeeding is going with Blaise and how my feelings have or haven't changed regarding public breastfeeding since having my third.

My main feelings can be summed up like so:

I love it.

Breastfeeding in Africa {specifically Uganda} has been incredibly liberating. I don't even think about it. If Blaise is fussy, I feed him. I think I may have used my breastfeeding cover 4 times since his birth? It's just been a complete non-issue. After having 3 kids it would seem I've mostly mastered {depending on the shirt I'm wearing} the art of modestly and comfortably breastfeeding in public. 
Now that Blaise is getting a bit older and more aware of his surroundings, sometimes I choose to breastfeed in my room or somewhere quieter if he's getting distracted and pulling off frequently. But he's such a fast and efficient eater that he's usually done in about 5 minutes anyway.
With our recent travels I breastfed on planes, on buses and even at the Barcelona Science Center.



I was breastfeeding Blaise in the childcare room during our conference before dropping him off {such a blessing to be kid-free for at least a couple hours!} and one of the childcare workers asked if he was sleeping. Which is generally my goal while breastfeeding publicly {to do it in a way that isn't so obvious}. Well, that and actually feeding my child of course.

So while breastfeeding has it's challenges {like not being able to hand off a nighttime feeding to Jamie or anyone else}, it's been easy for me and no-fuss {not to mention free!}. Which for a pretty busy Mama of three little dudes makes it completely ideal.

3 comments:

  1. Firstly, I love this blog post. Secondly, I love that pic. Blaise's hair makes him look like a Dr Suess Who from Whoville. So amazing. Thirdly, you can breastfeed in public without a cover and without anyone actually knowing?!? That pic is so telling. I wish you were here like...NOW...so you could teach. Please become a midwife. Please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw. Love you, Tam.
      And it took me 'til at least Jude. (I mostly nursed him in public with a cover although a few times I forgot and realized I could manage to do it discretely). So just take it slow and you'll figure it out.
      As for the midwife thing...it's definitely a dream of mine. Considering seriously looking into it once the kiddos are all in school as it'd require me going to Uni for a 4 year degree. Whew!
      And I totally wish I were there with you now. Less than 4 months to go!

      Delete
  2. It does look like he's simply sleeping in your photo above! But either way, it's wonderful! I think it's pretty cool that you live somewhere where no one makes a big deal about it. That's how it should be everywhere!! Great post!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!
If you're commenting as "Anonymous" please make sure to sign your name under your comment so I know who you are!
Happy day to you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...