Thursday, March 24, 2011

What's in a name?

I've noted differences between Noah and Jude before, but I just had to make note of this particular difference.

Noah calls me either Mama or Mom. Very rarely will he call me "Mommy".

And Jude calls me Mama or Mommy. It's absolutely heart-melting to hear him call me "Mommy", I'm not going to lie.

It'll be interesting to see if Noah changes what he calls me and if Jude drops the "Mommy" once he starts talking more.

My siblings and I called our parents Mommy & Daddy for a very long time and I had to tell myself (I was at least in my teens...longer, possibly) that I had to start calling my Mom, Mom and not "Mommy" anymore. And same with my Dad, although "Daddy" still slips out every once and awhile. For some reason it seems more socially acceptable for a daughter to call her father "Daddy" even once she is grown.

I like that my kids call me "Mama", though. It's warm and nurturing I hope it stays in their vocabulary for a long time.

2 comments:

  1. i think of the owl on the ox & the Hound, big mama - what a caring owl!

    i still call my daddy now and then :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that your boys call you Mama. It's unique (to our family) and so cute and soft, I hope they keep calling you that too :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!
If you're commenting as "Anonymous" please make sure to sign your name under your comment so I know who you are!
Happy day to you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...