Tuesday, February 2, 2010

cloth

So I think I'm turning into that crazy home birth hippie I was so proud (why? Not sure. I just like bucking the trend I guess) not to be!
I'm thinking about switching to...

cloth diapers.

That's right. CLOTH.

Who am I? For reals.

Anyway, so my reasons are singular really.

Money.

I guess it's nice what they do for the environment, but really...I guess I'm just not that environmentally friendly. It's certainly not my motivating factor, that's for sure.

But all that to say, I am looking into and researching cloth diapers.

Um, slightly overwhelming!

Seriously. There's prefolds, pocket diapers, AIO (All In Ones - don't get me started on the acronyms!), liners, cotton, bamboo, wet bags, and oh my goodness it keeps ON GOING!

But I decided to do a tester. I was browsing around on eBay and found some AIOs and decided to purchase 2. They go from 16-35lbs so likely will fit both boys. They were only $7.50 each and there were no shipping costs (I'm all about free shipping when buying things on eBay).

Anyway, so we'll see. I should get the diapers next week sometime so I'll definitely update. Oh and they're called EcoBumz - a Canadian company makes them in Alberta. So we'll see.

I'm leaning towards prefolds for a more economical choice, but we'll see. I'm going to talk to the ladies at Diaper Daze here in Guelph (a baby boutique that sells cloth diapers) and see what info I can glean from them.

So...we'll see. I think especially with two in diapers it's worth the investment. And since we'll likely have more kids I think it would be wise to think about doing cloth.

Oh and I'm planning on making my own baby food too.

(Who AM I?)

6 comments:

  1. I have 4 kids (12, 10, 8 & 21 months) and used disposables until about 2.5 weeks ago...I too did a lot of research reread blog posts by others about there cloth diaper journeys and I am thrilled with the decision and by my calculations I am still going save about $250 before she is potty trained. We had skin issues too which helped motivate us...and washing them is not all that bad.

    I chose Bum Genius 3.0 (7-35 lbs) pocket style and love it...my daughter is 24 lbs and they fit great. I had been lookiong at Fuzzi Bunz because of snaps versus velcro but they are sized and I would haved to by another size very soon and that seemed pointless. You can have them converted to snaps...2 of the gently used ones I bought were converted but I do think you get a better fit with velcro.

    We have had no leaks at all! I just have the diapers and 2 small wet bags for the diaper bag. I use my diaper champ without a bag and then just carry it down to the laundry room...easy peasy! I did not get a sprayer...it is pretty easy to get the poo off (dump into toilet) and no stains...I use maggie's soap nuts and no stains no odors. I also ordered prefolds and Thirsties Duo Wrap covers...not as crazy about this option as it is alot bulkier. probably going to sell them. Otherwise I have 12 bum genius 3.0 (I wash every 2 days and usually have to put her in a dispoable on laundry day) you will need more than that for 2 depending on how close your oldest is to training.
    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jen! I've head only great things about Bum Genius from people who have used them and they seem really good, but I just know they are SUPER expensive. I am hoping to get at least one, though to try it out and see if it's worth it for me.
    I'll probably sample a bit of this and that and see what works best for us.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay for cloth diapers and making your own baby food!!! I grew up with both so would like to do both whenever the Lord blesses us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. must share a convo I had with Andrew on the subject:

    Suz: So Vanessa might do cloth diapers
    Andrew: Wow!
    Suz: Ya. She feels it will be cheaper as long as she doesn't send them out for cleaning
    Andrew: (likely didn't respond.. just listening.. he's like that)
    Suz: But where will she put the poop? Down the sink?...
    Andrew: Maybe in the toilet.
    Suz: Oh ya. the toilet would make sense.

    We both think for a minute and start laughing. Of course poop would go in the toilet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen: My mom did cloth diapering as well (most did in our Mom's generation as disposables were horrible back then). I believe my MOm made some baby food as well. I think with Noah I was just trying to get a grip on being a Mom. I didn't feel like I needed to add more to my plate and there's really no need unless you're in a place where you CAN because yes. It's more work.

    Suz: Oh my. That's HILARIOUS.
    yes, the poop goes in the toilet. You can apparently buy these liners and just plunk the liner into the toilet. There's even these little sprayers you can buy, but I don't think I will. They cost like $50!

    ReplyDelete
  6. we already decided that's the way for us too.
    here's the site we're using - the cool thing is it's based in Montreal!
    http://www.applecheeks.com/site/en/Why_Trend.html
    but I'll e-mail you the whole document of my findings :)
    yay cloth diapers!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!
If you're commenting as "Anonymous" please make sure to sign your name under your comment so I know who you are!
Happy day to you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...