Friday, February 19, 2010

Blanket Time


Yesterday I re-initiated "blanket time" with Noah. He is so distracted these days and seems unable to focus for long(er) periods of time. So...we started with 7 minutes.
I got out the fun animal quilt (that goes with his bedroom) and placed it on the ground. I told him it was blanket time and that he had to stay on the blanket until the timer went off (I use the one from our toaster oven that makes a loud "ding" when it's done) and if he got off the blanket he would be disciplined.
So yesterday I tidied up in the kitchen and nearing the end of his blanket time he started whining from "blocks, Mama". But I didn't respond and he stayed on the blanket even though he could see the blocks!
So we're trying again for 10 minutes. This time I gave him the blocks. (Oh and he's got several books and a few toys with him on the blanket.)
I think blanket time works much better than "room time" for Noah as he just doesn't like being shut in his room by himself to play. So this works for us.
I hope to increase the time to even 30 minutes - maybe more.

5 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Good looking AND smart:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh i've heard of this! doesn't jen watt do this as well? would love an update later on how it's going, seems like a great way to get some time back for the things that need to be done around the house without turning on the tv!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup. I know she used to do it when the kids were little. Now they do "room time".
    It's from a book called Babywise (or Toddlerwise).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm LOVING this "blanket time" idea! Too late to use with my boys but definitely filing away to use with the baby someday!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!
If you're commenting as "Anonymous" please make sure to sign your name under your comment so I know who you are!
Happy day to you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...