Thursday, June 11, 2009

boourns

Maybe if I didn't have so many dang blogs I would actually update this one more often.
It is probable that I have 2 or sometimes 3 blog post ideas that I want to blog about floating about in my head at any given time but usually laziness prevails and they never get written. It's kinda sad, really.
Anyway, this is a short, shallow post, but it made me laugh and so I had to blog about it.
I was chatting with a friend on Gmail Chat or whatever it's called and I used the phrase "boourns" and she remarked that she had never heard of it. I explained that it was from a Simpsons episode and of course Googled it. I came across Urban Dictionary which opened my eyes to how I was inappropriately using it - in fact, entry number 6 made me laugh out loud:

6. boourns

Alternate spelling of boo urns.

Exclamation. A cheer for The Simpsons character Montgomery Burns. Often used incorrectly by Canadians to suggest disproval of anything, rather than approval of Burns.

Obviously, "boo" and "Boo-urns" are two different and mutually exclusive words.

My, that old dog, Monty Burns has done it again! Boo-urns! Boo-urns, I say!

or

"Are you saying 'boo' or 'boo-urns'?" - C.M. Burns, The Simpsons

Shock! Gasp! I am one of those Canadians using the term "boourns" incorrectly!
My world has been rocked. (In a small, shallow way.)

2 comments:

  1. Nix on the fcbk explanation...I got it now...say no more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Thanks for the corrective info. I also am one of those Canadians expressing disapproval with boourns!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!
If you're commenting as "Anonymous" please make sure to sign your name under your comment so I know who you are!
Happy day to you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...