Tuesday, July 11, 2006

conviction

In my readings of Systematic Theology today, I was really touched/convicted of an attitude that I know I could easily slip into after taking these courses and just generally working in full time Christian ministry. It was something that Grudem said in the very first chapter which is an intro to Systematic Theology. I'll just quote him because he says it so well.
"In all of these situations (understanding more than fellow Christians or those in leadership even) it would be very easy to adopt an attitude of pride or superiority toward others who have not made such a study (the study of systematic theology). But how ugly it would be if anyone were to use this knowledge of God's Word simply to win arguements or to put down a fellow Christian in conversation, or to make another believer feel insignificant in the Lord's work."
and this is where I felt conviction; "James' counsel is good for us at this point: 'Let every man be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger, for the anger of man does not work the righteousness of God' (James 1:19-20).
Learning and understanding more and more from the Word should not puff me up, but should lead me to humility and love.
How grateful I am to God that He has given me His Word and that it is indeed "living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart." (Heb. 4:12)
And what a privilege it is to be taught under people who love God and love His Word and desire to help me to understand what His Word says so that my life may change to reflect more and more of Christ and His Glory.

2 comments:

  1. you're so funny responding to my comment in a comment of your own on my blog! Hee hee. Now I just did the same thing.

    Oy. I'm tired. I think it's time for bed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. good stuff... thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!
If you're commenting as "Anonymous" please make sure to sign your name under your comment so I know who you are!
Happy day to you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...