Wednesday, March 29, 2006

reflections

Reflections from a funeral
It was the first death in my family. My Grandma; or as I and all my cousins and siblings called her, Baba. While I wasn't extremely close to her, it was still hard. More so at certain times than at others.
I think the viewing was the hardest. We, as her immediate family, had our own private viewing of the open casket for about 20 - 30 minutes before friends and other relatives were allowed to come in.
I cried. I didn't expect to cry.
As I approached the casket and saw the beautiful flowers adorning her casket and all around it, I was struck with the beauty of it all.
They did a good job with her makeup. She looked very natural and above all, peaceful.
I think that's what gave me the most comfort. Knowing that she is truly at peace. I was actually able to rejoice in my spirit.
I was reminded of 1 Thessalonians 4:13 which says that we don't grieve like those who have no hope. We have hope. Because of Christ. I smiled when I thought of my Baba in heaven with Jesus. Completely happy, free of pain and sadness.
She had a lot of sadness I think.
It was hard to see my mom and aunt's grieve over the loss of their mother.
Overall, I would say that there were too many pictures taken of the dead body, of people with the dead body and of people looking at the dead body.
Just kinda weirded me out.
Jocelyn asked me to promise her not to let them do that when she died. I said I would. If I outlived her.
I also found it hard to "say my goodbyes" to a body that no longer housed the spirit of my Baba. What do you say to a lifeless body? What do you say to the clay vessel that once held life?
I spoke instead to God. I thanked Him that life doesn't simply end when we die. It is merely the transition into the REAL life.

2 comments:

  1. wow. what a remarkably positive way of viewing a death. i really look up to you vanessa.
    love sab

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your loss.

    But its great that you can rejoice that she's now with God for eternity.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!
If you're commenting as "Anonymous" please make sure to sign your name under your comment so I know who you are!
Happy day to you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...