Monday, October 24, 2005

Racism

Over the last month or so, the topic of racism has been talked about and analysed and brought up over and over. So I have been dwelling on this topic quite a bit lately.
Yesterday I was browsing online and found this article/video clip of these two pre-teen twin sisters from the Southern US who are singing Nazi songs with the facade of cutesy folk tunes. It honestly made me sick to see it. They sing at White Supremicist rallys and they are very honest about their racist beliefs. One of the twins said that Hitler was a great man. The other one said that she didn't believe that over 6 million Jews were slaughtered. She said she didn't believe there were that many on the earth at the time. What? What on earth have you been brain-washed with? The brainwashing comes from their mother and grandfather who are both White Supremecists. The grandfather even brands his cattle with the swastika. What? How can a symbol that so much of the world shudders at the picture of, be something that this man feels completely comfortable branding on his cattle and even on the side of his truck?
Call me naive, but I had no idea that groups like that were tolerated. How can you get away with having public meetings to discuss how your race is better and even supreme over all other races? Promoting hatred and racism towards other cultures and races should be illegal.
Racism is something that I feel very, very strongly about and when I think about how rampant it is (especially in the US), I feel sick to my stomach. Growing up in Toronto and being white, yet being the minority in both my junior-middle school as well as my high school, it was very normal to have friends from many different countries and cultures. I'm so thankful for that experience and that childhood and I wouldn't have it any other way. I was educated in different cultures long before I ever took a "Cultures of the World" course or any other type of course that explores peoples of the world.
Toronto is one of the most multi-cultural cities in the world! You can find a restaurant that serves food from practically any country in the world, you can go to "Little Italy", Chinatown, explore areas that are Polish, Greek, German, Russian, West Indian, etc. Toronto has it's problems I'm sure, but there's no other place I'd rather be. How can a biracial child not be beautiful? How can a human life not be beautiful?
Racism comes down to ignorance, and ignorance is ugly - no matter if it does have blue eyes and blond hair.

1 comment:

  1. I agree fully. we were given such a gift to be among many cultures and races. it's really a good thing that people familiarize themselves to other cultures.
    how can you live life WITHOUT doing so???

    love sab

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!
If you're commenting as "Anonymous" please make sure to sign your name under your comment so I know who you are!
Happy day to you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...